Saturday, August 19, 2006

Lake Watrous, New Haven, LI Sound views


Lake Watrous
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.
From the cottage, I continued on past the radio tower and giant satellite dishes, skirted a couple of large houses, and finally hit Downs Rd, which is completely overrun with McMansions these days.

Instead of reversing course there, I walked out to Gaylord Mountain Rd, and then followed that south back to my car. I thought that I could use the road as part of a quick loop back to my car, and from there I could then head east on the Q Trail. But hiking Gaylord Mountain Rd back to my car took about 45 minutes, longer than expected.

The road is lightly trafficked and you can see some interesting things along the way - a couple of horse stables, and some lovely houses. I passed a woman in heels crossing the road to bring a bucket of grain and a block of hay to a couple of horses in a corral, which was a little amusing.

I did hike on up the east side of the Quinnipiac Trail to catch the view of Lake Watrous and Long Island Sound. I sat there enjoying the view for a little while, and then headed back to my car. It was a very enjoyable hike.

View of New Haven and LI Sound
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.

No comments: