Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cosmopolitan Club


Cosmopolitan Club
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.
There are numerous engravings in the flat trap rock at the top of Chauncey Peak along the blue trail. I guess it makes a very tempting surface for carving.

This one says something like "Cosmopolitan Club June 20 1875". I wonder if this was really carved in 1875. There are other engravings (somewhat illegible so I'm guessing here) - "Frank Studinst 1935", "Reuben Roo 1800", "Joseph Hill 1812". I wish I knew the history of these engravings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that when that was written, a cosmopolitan club referred to a golf club? It's true. Maybe you would only have to look into the history of Hunter Memorial to verify the artwork.

md said...

I suppose that could be the case, it seems like the most direct explanation. However, I also find some references which make a "Cosmopolitan Club" sound something like an international club.

I did a little search engine work, and it seems throughout the late 1800s and into the early 1900s various "Cosmopolitan Clubs" existed all over the world. Examples:

On Buzinkay

The Prince of Wales’ personal relationship with Hungary began in the 1860s. In 1867 he met the Hungarian orientalist Arminius Vámbéry, at the Cosmopolitan Club in London, and they continued to remain in close touch.

Dictionary of National Biography

[Henry Austin Bruce] was the most clubbable of men. He was one of the first members of the Cosmopolitan Club. He was one of the twelve who formed the Breakfast Club in the spring of 1866...


Speech by Gilles Bousquet


We began welcoming international students in the 19th century, among them students from Canada, Hungary, Germany, and Japan. ..The first Cosmopolitan Club (top photo) in the U.S. was founded here by Japanese students in 1903.


I don't know if it's possible to figure out the reference in this case, but if I can find anything further I will post it here.