Saturday, August 19, 2006

Abandoned cottage


Abandoned cottage
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.
Today's hike: 2 h 25 min at a leisurely pace

I did part of the Mad Mare's Hill section of the Quinnipiac Trail today, starting in Bethany Gap. There's basically one parking spot there on Gaylord Mountain Rd/Westwoods Rd, and I grabbed it. From there, I hiked northwest to the summit of Mad Mare's Hill (not much of a view).

I stopped at the abandoned cottage off the trail, and took a look around. It's pretty neat. There's an old pipeline (for water?) that runs up here from down the hillside somewhere, and some picturesque old walls that are studded with round stones. The cottage sits on a ridge and might have had a nice view back in the day. I startled a small snake which slithered off into a crack in a wall.

No comments: