Sunday, July 20, 2008

view of Mt Watatic from Mt Hunger


view of Mt Watatic from Mt Hunger
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.


That's Stodge Meadow Pond in the foreground with Mt Watatic over on the left.

I did about 2 mph up Mt Hunger, hitting this lookout with a great view just around noon, in time for lunch. I ate my buttered bagel undisturbed, in the shade. I was fortunate in finding the place completely empty, since hikers usually like to lunch where there's a view. (Come to think of it, this section of the Midstate Trail was pretty empty. I didn't meet a soul until I came to Mount Watatic State Reservation.)

I knew that I had to pass over Mt Watatic before getting to the end of the trail in New Hampshire. From this point, Watatic seemed impossibly far. Could it really be only 5 miles away? Given my pace, I began to have some doubts that I'd get to New Hampshire and make it back before nightfall.

At this point, I began thinking about stashing my sleeping bag and tent somewhere to lighten the load. But I decided to continue on as is. I still felt very fresh, and I didn't want to lose the opportunity to get some training in.

No comments: