Sunday, July 20, 2008

Midstate Trail end marker


Midstate Trail end marker
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.


I never found the Midstate Trail terminus marker. Well darn, where is it? I'll have to go back for another look soon, and allow more time for sight-seeing.

Instead, I found this odd octagonal marker. It reads:
"BORDEN 1834".

According to nhfours, it "was erected by Simeon Borden as a control station for the first accurate trigonometrical survey of Massachusetts." Very cool!

After taking the shortcut back to the Rt 119 parking lot at Watatic State Reservation, I retraced my path up until I got to Blueberry Hill. There I stopped to review the trail guide and find out if there were any more shortcuts that I could take. I decided to go over blacktop from Camp Winnekeag back to my car, following Rt 101 south and then Rt 12 southeast.

I didn't like the idea of road walking without knowing how much room there would be at the side of the road for pedestrians, how fast traffic was going, or how much traffic there would be. But I knew that my pace would be much faster over tarmac, and the route was relatively free of elevation changes. Also, I knew that even though the sun would set after 8 pm, it would still be pretty dark on the trail. It was already pretty dark at midday, at certain points. Finally, my knees and hips were complaining a bit on the hills and walking on the flat would spare them.

That little road hike went pretty well. I walked towards oncoming traffic, and put myself far enough out in the road so that drivers would see me from far away, only backing off onto the shoulder when they were closer. Almost every driver was kind enough to give me more than enough room, although there were a couple of dingbats who actually swerved towards me.

That last bit was about 4 miles long and my pace was 3 mph. I was back at the car around 7:15. By that time I felt like every part of my body was aching!

I guess I overextended myself, since I'm still feeling achy today. I'm glad I went, anyway! With this section finished, I've done the first 25 miles of the Midstate Trail, from N.H. down to Wachusett Mountain, as round-trips. I am hoping to do the entire trail this summer, but the Wapack Trail calls as well.

No comments: