Saturday, June 07, 2008

yoga

The last time that I went to my doctor, there was some discussion about stress. She recommended yoga. I asked her if she thought it really works, and she said yes, that she herself practices Ashtanga yoga. She told me she goes to class once a week, which struck me as a reasonable schedule, something I could probably live with. One hour a week in class, and a few days of practice at home each week would be something I'd be willing to try.

I have had another doctor and a couple of friends recommend yoga to me, but I've never given it much consideration; yoga strikes me as boring and whimpy. Tai chi is much more up my alley, with its seductive potential for mayhem.

The only reason I find yoga tempting is the headstand pose. I've wanted to do headstands and handstands since I was young, but I've made zero progress towards that goal.

Anyway, Ashtanga was in my head when I came across Lilla's post about Ashtanga, including a very cool Ashtanga video on Youtube. Shades of Buffy, that gal is doing headstands and handstands (no one-handed handstands, but I'd settle for two hands). And she's not rail thin like most yoga instructors I've seen - she's got a little muscle on her. Bingo, Ashtanga could be a yoga that I could live with! I began looking for classes in the area.

But so far, all the classes I've found have been too far away. I'm not going to spend an hour of driving, getting wound up, just to try to cool down. So I'm still at square one with yoga.

I did find a place in Boston that is tempting because it seems to be very genuine. However, I think they take themselves a little too seriously.
It is hoped that every student will at some point attend class six days per week.
Understandably, some lifestyle changes may be required to achieve this, but generally these are well worth it. Where a student has work or other commitments that do not permit daily class attendance, he or she is still welcome to enroll in the school and come fewer than six days per week, in consultation with the teachers.
That kind of attitude strikes me as cult-ish. If I went to such a class six days a week, I'd literally have no other time for any other activities (and I get the feeling this studio thinks that's dandy, since their brand of yoga is all that you need in life). I guess I might have time for this sort of class once I'm retired... and live around the corner from an Ashtanga studio.

Since my doctor goes to class once a week, it must be possible to find a studio which is more in tune with normal American life. I'm still looking for one.

No comments: