Sunday, June 15, 2008

I wished to live deliberately...


I wished to live deliberately...
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.


"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

Thoreau

According to Katherine Lussen:

Thoreau's problem was with society and the direction in which it was heading. As society became more consumer oriented with the new and revolutionary technology of the late nineteenth century, Thoreau saw people losing sight of basic values. His call to "Simplify, simplify" (Walden) was not a request to save the wilderness, but a request to save society from the impending evils of an increasingly material culture.
The more things change, the more they stay the same!

No comments: