Sunday, October 10, 2010

stony brook trail crossing


stony brook trail crossing
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.

Climbing the Stony Brook Trail was overall pretty easy. The trickiest part was crossing Stony Brook.

I wasn't completely sure that I was supposed to cross here, in fact, since the trail is not well marked on the ascending side. Arriving here, I wondered if this was just a side trail, since I didn't see any blaze, carin or other marking on either side of the brook that made it clear the trail continued on the other side.

I've erroneously crossed streams in the past, and I didn't want to make that mistake now. The brook was really full, and crossing it was a puzzle. I spent 10 or 20 minutes walking up and down it looking for a way to cross without removing my boots. In the end, I caved in and crossed barefoot. This photograph shows the path I took across the rocks, just above the little cascade. Fortunately the water wasn't icy cold. My feet dried off quickly and I was soon ready to travel on.

There's an arrow engraved in a sign on the other side of the brook which you can only see once you're across. Very helpful - NOT! It should be moved so it's visible from both sides of the trail.

No comments: