Sunday, October 10, 2010

footbridge from west of peabody river


footbridge from west of peabody river
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.

Eventually, the Carter Moriah trail became less "slide"-y and more like a normal walk through the woods. It was around here I became a little nervous, since I heard 1) the sound of crowds screaming in the distance and 2) what sounded like gunshots. Briefly I imagined disaster. However, I decided that the screaming was probably coming from a ball game at the park I had passed along Rt 16. And the gunshots, well, that could be from hunters. I had stupidly forgotten to check for the opening of hunting season and was wearing all black with no hunter orange. I pondered the idea of my body being discovered in the woods, shot by a drunken hunter who had mistaken me for a bear.

Finally, I hit Bangor St. Just a short walk away, I was filled with joy at the sight of a footbridge crossing the Peabody River. This meant I didn't have to walk all the way through town, and cut about a mile off the trip back to the car. Sweet!

The footbridge is marked as a line on the topo map, but the line is not labeled. I didn't realize that's what it was till I saw it in real life.

No comments: