Saturday, July 08, 2006

Relocation


Relocation
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.
This notice is posted just below Coginchaug Cave. "From this point, the Mattabesett Trail has been relocated to circumvent a new housing subdivision. From here, the trail turns generally south, then east, reaching a high point at a state forest boundary in 1/2 mile. From there the trail continues in an easterly direction, and then more northerly, rejoining the old trail in another 1/2 mile. From here, it is 1.6 miles to Higganum Road. The relocation adds 0.8 mile. Connecticut Forest and Park Association 1/20/05".

I'm happy to get the extra miles added to the trail, but I have to wonder if the total woodland area has decreased in this area due to the new subdivision.

I took the side trail up to Pine Knob Overlook, which used to be where the main trail went. I haven't been on this section of the trail since the relocation occurred; I think I was up here last in 2004.

No comments: