Sunday, July 30, 2006

Macedonia


Macedonia view
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.
On Sunday, I hiked the Macedonia Ridge Trail, which is a loop 6.7 miles in length. It took me 3.5 hours to complete it, a pace much slower than yesterday's.

I found this trail fairly difficult. I was carrying a backpack, which weighs more than my daypack, which didn't help. The heat and humidity were as oppressive as on Saturday, with rare cool breezes. And maybe I was a little worn out from my Tunxis hike.

This is the view from Cobble Mountain, which is about two miles from where I started my hike. Supposedly those are the Catskills out there, somewhere.

The trail up to Cobble Mountain was so steep and rocky that I had to use my hands to crawl up parts of it. At one point there was a slab of rock where I had to pull myself up using just my arms. Ordinarily I enjoy this kind of thing, but not when wearing a pack. At some point I was thinking about how they'd find my body at the foot of the cliff, and what a shame that my organs would all be far too rotten for donation by the time they'd found my body.

Anyway, I made it up alive, but it kind of wiped me out. That was at mile two, and I still had almost five miles to go, with many more ascents! I was a zombie by the time I got back to the car - just putting one foot in front of the other. I could really use a break from this brutal weather we've been having.

No comments: