Sunday, July 16, 2006

Looking at more charities

I get lots of solicitations in the mail from charitable organizations. Usually I toss them, but recently I got something from FINCA, a micro-lending non-profit, that caught my eye. After reading their material, I put them on my list for further investigation for my end-of-the-year giving. I'm also thinking about National Resources Defense Council. Both get a reasonable score from Charity Navigator.

I finally signed up with Charity Navigator, because you can maintain your personalized list of charities there. It does concern me that Charity Navigator does not evaluate itself, but they give a plausible reason for not doing so. I am curious about how much the president, Trent Stamp, pays himself. When I review a charity my eye automatically goes to the director's compensation. I get irked when I see a non-profit director being paid more than me. I then have to weigh my level of irked-ness with my fondness for the charity.

I do read Trent Stamp's blog on occasion. His rants can be quite amusing! Hard not to like and trust the guy.

No comments: