Sunday, July 09, 2006

OK Computer

My Sony Vaio died two weeks ago. It was a slow process, and I was able to try some fixes (in no particular order):
  • fdisk /mbr
  • scandisk
  • Maxtor PowerMax utility, which consistently said everything was fine
  • replacing the CPU fan
  • Running Norton Antivirus on the hard drive, from a CD-ROM
Nothing worked; rather, the problems got progressively worse until the hard drive finally joined the choir invisible. I could have bought a new hard drive to see if that was truly the only problem, but I decided to spring for a new PC. I bought the Vaio six years ago; it was running Win 98, and it was getting a bit dated, although it generally served my purposes well for home use until it died. I may still try to replace the hard drive and see if it can be revived.

I got my new machine, a Dell, on Friday. It's OK. I'm slowly getting my old software installed: Firefox, AT&T Worldnet software, MS Office, MS Money...

The new machine came with a get-six-months-free offer from Earthlink, so I decided to try it. It kind of sucks - their toolbar seems to be screwing with Microsoft's Data Execution Protection (DEP), which causes the system to hang unpredictably. I think it's their toolbar, I'm not completely sure; DEP seems to be messing with a number of applications (which makes me miss Win 98). In comparison, my old AT&T Worldnet service seems to be performing without a glitch, so I'll probably drop Earthlink soon.

I'm incredibly lucky in having backed up most of the stuff on my old hard drive just one week before it died! Am I psychic?! As I'm starting afresh, I've realized that I missed a few things: my browser bookmarks and history, and stuff I'd been keeping on the Desktop. I wonder what else got left behind?

2 comments:

Piaw Na said...

Now that's what I call lucky! Congratulations on your successful backup!

md said...

Thanks! Yeah, can't believe how lucky that was.

The new machine automatically backs everything up to a second hard drive. No more worries, in theory. Unless, of course, both hard drives get fried simultaneously.