Saturday, May 24, 2008

my new Sigg bottles


my new Sigg bottles
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.

For years, I've been hunting for a good plastic bottle for toting around water at work, to bring on hikes, etc. It's one of those things that seemed like a good idea, but I just never got around to it. Instead, I tended to buy bottled water and reuse the bottles for a few days.

All the recent talk about problems with plastic bottles caused me to look at the plastic bottles I've been using with more distaste. Coincidentally, Skwigg blogged about her new Sigg bottle. I was hooked! A lightweight, non-plastic bottle with cool designs... I've been hunting for one, since then.

Today, I found the motherload of Sigg bottles at my grocery store! They had three cool designs that I coveted, so I bought all three. Twenty bucks a pop. I hope they last forever... and that there are no discoveries about aluminum leaching out into my drinking water. According to mysigg.com, it's all good but can you really believe that? Is mysigg.com even affiliated with Sigg?

No matter, I'm pretty happy with the new bottles, though I've yet to take one for a test run.

2 comments:

Piaw Na said...

Lisa and I have several sigg bottles. The problem with them is that they can't be squeezed, so you can't modulate water flow as easily. Not a big deal if you're hiking, but a definite problem for cycling. For cycling, I've stuck with my plastic bottles.

md said...

Yeah, I can't imagine using these on a bike.

Do you recommend any of the non-default Sigg plastic tops?

I tried one of mine yesterday for the first time, and was slightly annoyed by the number of times I had to rotate the top to remove it. My disposable plastic bottles twist off with one turn (about 180°), and the Sigg requires several (something like 3.5 x 360°). It's a problem because I take a lot of short sips while hiking.