Saturday, May 06, 2006

A story about "Of Human Bondage"

by W. Somerset Maugham

So I’ve kind of been working my way through Maugham’s Of Human Bondage like it’s a rather untasty protein bar. I’m now about 35% through the novel and it’s starting to become entertaining.

In particular, I just finished Chapter 45, where things are really picking up. It starts with Cronshaw asking Philip rather abruptly: “But pray what tell is the meaning of life?”

Not that he wants to hear Philip’s opinion; Cronshaw just wants an opening to deliver his monologue:

”...I have nothing to do with others, I am only concerned with myself. I take advantage of the fact that the majority of mankind are led by certain rewards to do things which directly or indirectly tend to my convenience…”

He then goes on to explain his theory that people do nothing which is not selfish. It brings to mind Dawkins’ The Selfish Gene (I have not read that book but am familiar with some of the ideas in it). He winds up his monologue by telling Philip “You were asking just now what was the meaning of life…” when of course it was Cronshaw himself who started in on the topic, not Philip at all.

Cronshaw’s several pages of lecturing at Philip have made the previous 256 pages all worthwhile. Hopefully we’re getting into the meat of the novel now.

No comments: