Wednesday, November 11, 2009

mt passaconaway - fourth 4000-footer


nearing the summit
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.


Yesterday's hike: 5 h 50 min | 9 mi | 1.5 mph. The mileage doesn't count some backtracking that I did when I got slightly lost, or side trips, so my pace was probably better than reported. Also, I was carrying my backpack, weighing about 15 lbs or so.

The weather had been so temperate for the last few days that I decided to take a swing at another 4000-footer. I played hookie to do that yesterday. Even with the recent good weather, there still might be ice in the mountains... and without traction devices, I wanted to be as sure as possible that I wouldn't encounter significant ice. Some reports at Views from the Top indicated that south facing trails were in good shape, possibly because they get more sun this time of year, so I focused on those.

My choices were narrowed down also by the amount of time I had. With less daylight at this time of the year, I needed a route to a summit that was short enough that I could cover the round trip in six or seven hours. I finally decided to try climbing Mt Passaconaway from the south, via the Dicey's Mill Trail. It's 4.6 miles to the summit, with an elevation gain of 2950 feet, and reported to be a relatively easy climb.

Entire Mt Passaconaway Trip Report

No comments: