Sunday, May 31, 2009

milk snake


milk snake
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.


Today's hike: 3 h 40 min | 7 mi | 1.9 mph

I went hiking at Blue Hills Reservation, again. I took the Skyline Trail from the Headquarters Path parking lot to somewhere around Nahanton Hill at intersection marker 3103, and then turned back. On the return trip, instead of returning to the parking lot, I continued on almost to intersection marker 1094 before heading back to the car.

At Nahanton Hill, I was startled by this snake, which was coiled up at one side of the trail. As I fumbled for my camera, it began to slither off away from the trail. But then it nicely decided to head back and cross the trail, giving me a good photo op. It seemed to consider me a nuisance more than anything else. I think it was a milk snake (PDF). The only thing that makes me doubt that is that milk snakes are supposed to be mainly nocturnal. Maybe this one had insomnia.

No comments: