Saturday, February 21, 2009

A review of "He's Just Not That Into You"


He’s Just Not That Into You is a montage of relationship stories, perfect for the month containing Valentine’s Day:
  1. a perky, desperate, cute chick throws herself at every man who crosses her path,
  2. a woman secretly, desperately wants to marry her long-term partner, an incredible guy who is philosophically opposed to marriage
  3. a desperate husband, who never really wanted to get married in the first place, falls in lust with a voluptuous yoga instructor.

What’s the key word here? Desperation. Is it the biological imperative, or something else? I don’t know, but it’s both funny and sad.

There’s a metaphorical game of musical chairs, and in the end some of the characters are left standing, while others have managed to snag a partner. Do we really believe that any of these relationships are going to survive? Hm, not me. As is typical with movie romances, we know very little about these people, and it seems like they have no reason to be attracted to each other, other than their obvious virility and good looks.

The movie does have a few things going for it. Reasonably good acting, dialogue, nice sets. Mildy entertaining, I never checked my watch. It confirms your vague feelings that you’re probably better of being single, so it’s probably not a great date movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot just say that its a good movie neither say that its a bad one!.Group of casting actors was well selected.But I felt as if the storyline was a bit complicated (and boring too).I felt like I am watching an episode of FRIENDS.if I were asked then I would rate it 3.5/5.Overall its an average movie which MAY BE WATCHED but its not so entertaining