Sunday, March 11, 2007

Getting from New Haven to JFK

These are some details on my trip from New Haven to JFK by public transport.

My off-peak ticket on a Metro North train from New Haven to Grand Central Station cost $14.

The train ride took me about 2.5 hours. The ride can be much quicker if you get an express train, but there was no choice for me. You should buy your ticket at the station; it will cost more if you buy it on the train. I find the ride pleasant, especially when the weather is good. I can read or just think while the train chugs along, and I like the views.

At GCT (Grand Central Terminal), I got an MTA subway ticket for $2 to cover the trip by subway to the AirTrain.

Details: From Grand Central take the 6 (a local train), uptown one stop, getting off at the 51st St station. Transfer to the E train here. Technically this is the 53rd St station on the E line, so be aware of this when reversing your steps. Take the E to Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av. From Grand Central to Sutphin Blvd took me about 45 minutes, YMMV. Making the transfer from the 6 to the E is a little bit of a hike; I didn't find it too difficult, but it's a drag carrying luggage. When you get to Sutphin Blvd, you have to take another little hike over to the AirTrain, including a short elevator trip (it was large, clean, and working); I think there was also an escalator. Signage is pretty good here.

The AirTrain from Sutphin Blvd to all terminals at JFK costs $5. The ride takes about 5 or 10 minutes. The AirTrain is wonderful, and it's about time that JFK is connected to NYC via something other than taxi service.

In addition, I had to take a taxi from home to New Haven station. The cost of the taxi ride, a one-way trip which averages about 10 minutes, was about $27. I was a little surprised at the expense. Next time I should try taking the bus.

So the total one-way cost was $27 + $14 + $2 + $5 = $48, round trip that's $96. I've never taken a limo ride into JFK, but I think it would cost at least twice that much to do so. I find the expense a little painful. The plane ticket to Geneva cost $650; it seems like transport to the airport should cost much less. Maybe I'm out of touch.

The time spent getting from home to JFK was about 4.5 hours. This includes "waiting around time" - time I spent waiting for the taxi, or sitting at the train station. Not bad. I guess if I took the bus into New Haven, it would take significantly longer, but I find the cost of the taxi ride so unreasonable that I'd be willing to try it. Of course, bumming a ride from someone would be even better, but my bumming skills seem to have atrophied.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time you should take Amtrak to Newark Airport ... (no chances, except to the monorail at EWR)

md said...

Thanks for the tip. I hardly ever use Newark, but I didn't realize it was so easy to get there.

I checked in at Amtrak. It looks like a 1-way ticket from New Haven to Newark International Airport costs $58, whereas going the tedious route from New Haven to JFK (Metro North to GCT to the Air train) is only $21. It's nice to know about the option, if I feel like avoiding the hassle, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the details! I'm going to fly from Seattle into JFK (and out from EWR!), so this is exactly what I needed to know. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

I am looking at how to get to JFK from Norwich. Your information was quite valuable. Its hard to get exact times when train hopping. Thanks dude

Anonymous said...

Another option is to take an express bus from Grand Central Station to JFK (rather than the subway and airtran). The bus is $15 and you pick it up on the street (not in a terminal) right outside JFK.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-public-transportation.html

Anonymous said...

Another option is to take an express bus from Grand Central Station to JFK (rather than the subway and airtran). The bus is about $15 and you pick it up on the street (not in a terminal) right outside Grand Central Station.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-public-transportation.html

princeton taxi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.