Saturday, January 27, 2007

French practice

I've discovered that once I listen to a Radio France broadcast online over my dialup connection at home, I can cut my connection and replay the broadcast as often as I want, provided I keep the media player open. This is great; when listening to French broadcasts it's useful to play certain sections over several times to better understand what is being said.

Here are a few words that I picked up from a broadcast today:
  • deuxième - second
  • (le) renseignement - information
  • les renseignements généraux - police department responsible for political security
  • malheureuse affaire - unhappy affair
  • ênquete - (police) investigation
I know most of these words and phrases already, but it helps to hear them spoken. "Les renseignements généraux" is a new one for me, and I'm not completely sure what it means still.

No comments: