Thursday, June 02, 2005

A third goal

To mix things up a little bit, I started going through my copy of Living Language Ultimate French: Basic-Intermediate. I listened to Chapter 1 on the CD and followed along, doing my best to pronounce things the way they sounded. I also read through Chapter 1 (since large parts of the chapter are not on CD), and completed the tests at the end. I got 18/19 correct, yay! But actually that’s not a huge achievement, since I’ve been down this road before. I already completed chapters 1 and 2 half a year ago. It’s a good review – they go over things like common pleasantries, the conjugation of être and avoir, and also the conjugation of regular -er verbs. Hopefully soon I’ll be into the new material of Chapter 3.

I still have a lot of trouble remembering how things are spelled. For example, the one mistake I made in the test was to write “nous somme” instead of “nous sommes”. It should be easy enough to remember – “nous sommes”, “nous avons”, “nous parlons”, etc. All those verb forms end in “s” for “nous”.

My goal for this resource is to complete the entire book by the end of the year. There are 40 chapters, so that may be overly ambitious.

No comments: