Sunday, May 15, 2005

French words from Code 46

I finished Code 46. It's a good dystopian science fiction movie, brings to mind Bladerunner and Gattaca. Is Tim Robbins as tall as he looks? Trivia: Mick Jones of The Clash makes a brief appearance, playing "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" in a bar scene. Mick Jones also made an appearance in another Michael Winterbottom-directed film, 24 Hour Party People.

Here are the three French words that I mined from the movie:
  • (la) chauve-souris = bat. (The plural is chauves-souris.) This is an interesting one because souris means mouse and chauve means bald. So - "bald mouse". It really should be "flying mouse", since bats are not bald, and even if they were, their hair or lack of it is not the most peculiar thing about them. There appears to be some thought that "bald" actually means "featherless" here.
  • (la) valeur = value, as in "money has value". I think I have seen this word before, but I confuse it with the English "valour".
  • (le) témoin = witness. This one is confusing because it seems even a female witness gets the masculine article.
une chauve-souris: bats are not at all bald
I wonder whether I will actually remember these words for very long. It doesn't feel like they are sticking in my head very well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valeur and Valour : un homme valeureux = a man with (great) valour. You were right: these words are connected. Go on.

md said...

Salut, Gabrielle - thanks for the tip! - BuddhaMouse