Thursday, September 18, 2008

disassembling a Dell 1907FPc flatscreen monitor

click photo to enlarge 
I've heard you should never ever use your monitor's on/off button, because they fail easily. However, I never got around to setting up a powerstrip for the monitor, and I don't like seeing the little glowing button wasting energy. So I've turned monitor on and off day in and day out for over two years now.

Last Saturday, when I hit that button, nothing happened. Hitting the button didn't feel right (no nice clicking feeling), so I thought it might be a simple task to rig something up to fix the button, if that were the problem.

However, getting into the monitor was no easy task. Looking at the thing, it was hard to decide where to begin - everything was sealed together so tightly. I decided to start with the back, since there were four obvious screws there. I removed them, but was then stymied since there seemed to be no further angle of attack.
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, I have a similar monitor, I was wondering if you might be able to share the details of how you got the back cover and all off. I am having problems and don't want to go further without guidance. Please help me if you can

md said...

Hi Barry,

Everything I know is posted on this blog. I've got 7 posts. I've edited the posts so that each one now contains links to all the others, but for your info here they are:

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7

Good luck!

buddhamouse

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the directions on how to take this puppy apart. It is definitely not intuitive to open the case, but your explanation and photos really helped. I was also having problems with the power switch. After I removed the circuit board (man, those screws are small and no ribbon length to play with), a small piece of the switch cover panel (the white plastic piece that is painted) came out. I ended up removing the cover for the power switch and re-assembled the unit. Now I have to use a plastic pointer to turn it on, but it does work. LED is a little bright, though. Thanks again.

md said...

@Anonymous: I'm glad this helped!

TV Frames said...

Interesting article. I am glad I found it. It’s nice to read something interesting. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! Hope to read more from you!

0845 numbers said...

With technology constantly changing, consumers may feel overwhelmed when it comes time to choose a monitor for their computer. Flat screen monitors are all the rage today.

Anonymous said...

that happened to me, just the same!! and as you i look around and i got scared, thanks for the info, i will try to fix it this weekend

zipperbear said...

After taking mine apart, I used needle-nose pliers to break off a few mm of plastic next to the power light, then taped a bit of q-tip stem on top of the actual power switch to make a button. I think there was originally a lever that crumbled, because some debris came out when I took things apart.

asus gaming monitor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.