Thursday, June 07, 2007

Paugussett Trail


Paugussett
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.


Today's hike: 2 h 45 min | 6 mi | 2.2 mph

I had to be in Shelton today, and decided I should take the opportunity to do some letterboxing and hiking in the area. I'm hardly ever over that way.

I picked the Calvin and Hobbes letterboxing set, perfect since it's along the Paugussett. Note: You do not have to park in the Indian Well State Park parking lot, which costs $6, in order to get to the Paugussett trailhead in the vicinity. There is free parking well before you get to that lot, along Indian Well Rd.

When I arrived, I realized I had forgotten my compass. Doh! Despite that, I had very little trouble finding the three letterboxes, aside from an initial red herring. The stamps were adorable!

After collecting my stamps, I kept going north on the Paugussett, all the way to Okenuck Way. At that point, with only a mile to go till the end, I reluctantly turned back, at the command of my stomach. Doh! again, I had neglected to bring sufficient food for a lengthy hike.

The weather was perfect for hiking: crisp, cool, clear. This section of the blue trail is very pleasant. There are a few steep stretches to do but the trail is well maintained. There are a couple of lively brook crossings and several lengthy rock walls along the trail. Most of the trail is shady so you don't have to worry about getting sunburned.

I saw lots of squirrels, chipmunks, and even a couple of deer.

No comments: