Saturday, April 22, 2006

Narcissus blossoms - not just for the vase


Posted by Picasa

This is a salad that I picked up at Thyme and Season yesterday. It's an organic mesclun salad with narcissus blossoms, produced by Two Guys from Woodbridge. The price is an appalling five dollars, so it's a luxury item that I won't buy often. Still, it was fantastically delicious and mouth-wateringly good - possibly the best damn salad I've had in my life. The leaves tasted as if they came straight out of a garden, which would explain the high price.

I haven't seen a salad with narcissus blossoms in it since I was a child. I was visiting my aunt's house in the Boston area, and she had mixed up a homegrown salad with narcissus blossoms thrown in. I was appalled and horrified, and I don't recall being able to bring myself to try it. That was just plain weird. Thirty-odd years later, I am no longer appalled to find flowers in a salad. They look mighty pretty, and I was curious to see what they taste like. Hence they ended up on my plate. They're really very good, but the taste is hard to describe. Just a little bit peppery? In any case, delicious. I only drizzled a bit of olive oil on top of the salad before dining. It is a large salad, so I've got a little left over for today.

No comments: