Thursday, April 20, 2006

Dutchman's breeches


Dutchman's breeches
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.
The other day I was hiking over at Sleeping Giant and discovered hundreds of clumps of Dutchman's breeches (Dicentra cucullaria). They were quite close to the parking area, near a stream. I was pretty excited. I'd seen pictures of these in a book when I was a kid, but I don't recall ever seeing them in the flesh.

I didn't have my camera with me then, so I came back today with my Nikon and took photos.

The stalks are about 10 to 20 cm in height; the flowers are white, about a cm or two long, with a bit of yellow stuff hanging off the bottom. And they do sort of look like breeches hanging on a wash line. The leaves are sort of feathery looking; you can see some good samples of the leaves in this photo.

It's a freakish but beautiful plant. Delightful!

No comments: