Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Mt Chocorua via Champney Falls Trail

Today's hike: 7.6 mi | 4.5 h | 1.7 mph

I went for a hike up to Mt Chocorua with a friend, today. This was my first big hike of the season!

The bugs are pretty heavy, currently. It's mostly mosquitoes, but also gnats and black flies. Not being a fan of DEET, we used "Human Nature Insect Repel". It seemed to work to keep the bugs away, although we did find we had to reapply it (it was applied a total of 3x during the hike). We didn't collect any ticks on this trip, which was a surprise.

We took the Champney Falls trail. It was unexpectedly wet. My boots are old and sporadically leak. Despite my damp socks, I didn't get any blisters.

It was a beautiful day, and the tourists were out, as well as the bugs. We were mostly able to avoid traffic jams, and the peak of Chocorua was actually not very crowded - just a few small groups were chilling at the top.

Champney Falls
Pitcher Falls or maybe another part of Champney
I've never taken the side trail over to Champney Falls. We did that this time... it was nice, but not spectacular. The sign to the side trail says "Pitcher Falls" and "Champney Falls". I'm not sure what we were looking at. Maybe we saw both.
Looking up at Chocorua
It's always fun as you approach Chocorua's peak. It's rather exposed, and gives my heart a little flutter.
Obligatory USGS Geodetic Survey marker
Awesome wiew from Chocorua!
It was another great day in the Whites! Looking forward to the hiking season...

No comments: