Wednesday, October 17, 2012

overlook view

The Kinsman Ridge Trail goes straight up via a series of switchbacks. I didn't find it too difficult because it's not very lengthy, compared to other hikes I've done in the Whites.

Down low, you soon pass over some very sandy gullies, and meet some small boulders that need to be clambered over. As you go up higher, you find a series of rock slides. As usual, it was a bit of a chore to bypass some of these, because they were pretty wet. (On the way down, some had become icy.)

After passing the section of the trail with slides, you soon come to a section which is littered with boulders that you have to scramble over. Fortunately, I expected this hike to be relatively short, so I was carrying a fairly light pack. The scrambling was kind of fun.

Abruptly the trail stopped climbing and I hit a long flat section that was covered in mud puddles. I thought I was at the summit, but no. After passing this area, I saw the summit station off in the distance, higher up.

Here's a view of Route 93, off the Overlook trail, a few hundred feet from the main trail.

No comments: