Sunday, August 17, 2008

view to east


view to east
Originally uploaded by wereldmuis.


This is a view to the east from the summit of Wachusett, if I recall correctly.

The "problem" with Wachusett is that you can pay a $2 fee to get in and drive to the top, where there's plenty of parking. (That's exactly what I did today.) This is a problem because the summit is far from peaceful. The two times I've been there, it's crowded with people. Motorcyclists, radio hobbyists, casual hikers, bicyclists. (I admit, the radio hobbyists are kind of fun). Not that there's anything wrong with that - I just don't like the crowds, and although I'd like to linger, taking in the views, I have always headed off as quickly as possible.

There are a couple of USGS markers up at the summit, according to NOAA. I took a quick look around today, but couldn't find them, and I just didn't feel like doing a thorough search with all the people around. I'll have to come back some other day.

No comments: