Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A review of "The Fifth Vial"

by Michael Palmer

I bought The Fifth Vial to read on a plane ride. It is a medical conspiracy/suspense novel. It suffers from a few problems.

First, it could use a lot of trimming; I often lost interest when the author sidetracked into lengthy scenarios that did little to advance the plot or meaningfully develop characters. A suspense novel should carry you along, and this one did not do the trick for me. Second, the premise is so implausible, the conspiracy so broad, that it is just too unbelievable. This is another reason that the novel kept failing to engage me; I just couldn’t suspend my disbelief. Finally, I found most of the characters to be composed of cardboard. The bad guys were like cartoons who would snarl and sneer. The only character that interested me was Natalie Reyes, who was fleshed out in a rather reasonable fashion for the starring role in a suspense novel (by this I mean to say that suspense novels are not exactly well known for interesting characterizations).

Admittedly, I have a lot of stuff going on in my life now, so I’m probably a hard case when it comes to being distractible. If you like the suspense novels of Dan Brown, you might like this. But it’s nowhere near the quality of The Da Vinci Code. It’s more along the lines of Digital Fortress, which suffers from similar problems.

I should mention that it is well worth reading the "Author's Note" which starts on p 501. Please, if you haven't already, consider signing up as an organ donor.

No comments: