Monday, January 14, 2008

A review of "The Old Woman Who Walked in the Sea"

by Laurent Heynemann

Perhaps I am a philistine in this matter, but I am not a fan of Jeanne Moreau. I am almost embarrassed to admit it. True, I haven’t seen much of her stuff. I have seen Jules et Jim, a movie which did little for me – and I just don’t get the attraction.

The movie The Old Woman Who Walked in the Sea does nothing to change my mind. Poorly executed, acted, scripted, directed, and filmed – there is nothing that I liked about this film!

I will continue to sample Moreau’s oeuvre, however, in the hopes of discovering the charm in her talent. Michel Serrault doesn’t come off very well in this movie, either, and I know from previous experience (Rien ne va plus, The Girl from Paris) that he can be quite a good actor.

If you want to see a good French film themed around a con artist, take a look at Isabelle Huppert in The Swindle (Rien ne va plus). Caveat: I am a big fan of Huppert, and can’t get enough of her.

No comments: