Thursday, September 18, 2008

detaching the circuit board

click photo to enlarge 
Finally, I reached the area of the lip just around the row of control buttons, with the on/off button nearest the corner. Here I found that it was impossible to fully remove the lip.

As shown in this photo, the buttons are covered by a small circuit board, and the circuit board is connected to the monitor with a small ribbon. At this stage in the disassembly, I did my best not to disturb the ribbon, but it was difficult because the ribbon was the only thing connecting the lip to the monitor body.

I was stuck. The circuit board was fastened to the lip with a set of 5 teeny tiny Phillips (crosshead) screws, and I didn't have a set of teeny tiny screwdrivers. So I gave up for the evening.

The following evening, I stopped off at RadioShack. RadioShack used to be much more geek friendly, but I think they may have decided there's a broader market in the general public, and that it would make sense to devote more shelf space to standard appliances like cell phones and televisions. At least, this place didn't have the huge variety of technical tools that I was hoping to find. (I looked for a real spudger, but couldn't find one. Where does one get a spudger?) However, they did have several sets of teeny tiny screwdrivers. I bought a nifty set of six miniature Phillips-head screwdrivers, ranging from 1.4 mm to 3.5 mm, and hoped one would do the trick.

As you can see, one was just right - the 2.0 mm size did the trick. Removing the screws was surprisingly easy. I'm pretty bad with removing screws and have a habit of stripping them, but had no such problem here.

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was at this point where I laid the entire assembly upside down on a soft towel and removed the lcd panel from the back case. This allowed me to pull the cable from it's metal holding tabs and free up a lot of slack. Removing the circuit board from the front bezel was a piece of cake.

I plan on using some plastic cement to re-attach the power button to the plastic 'tree' that holds the rest of the buttons.

Either that or I'll just leave the front bezel off, use some tape to hold the circuit board in place, and give my desk that post-apocolyptic/The Matrix/Mad Max look. Ha!

jerry sutherlin said...

Good Post I had no problem taking the it apart and removing the buton. I use a plastic tootpick to turn it on and off.